Hallo, Gast! Registrieren

Themabewertung:
  • 1 Bewertung(en) - 5 im Durchschnitt
Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God (2009)
[Bild: goatwhore-carving-the-cb7u.jpg]

VÖ: 2009

Genre: Thrash / Black / Death Metal

Label: Metal Blade

Herkunftsland: USA

Für Fans von: Mir fällt grad nix Vergleichbares ein *g*

Tracklist:

01. Apocalyptic Havoc
02. The All-Destroying
03. Carving Out The Eyes Of God
04. Shadow Of A Rising Knife
05. Provoking The Ritual Of Death
06. In Legions, I Am Wars Of Wrath
07. Reckoning Of The Soul Made Godless
08. This Passing Into The Power Of Demons
09. Razor Flesh Devoured
10. To Mourn And Forever Wander Through Forgotten Doorways

Spielzeit: 40:59

Zitat:Goatwhore has made quite the name for themselves in the last few years. I picked up on these guys around the days of Funeral Dirge For The Rotting Sun, running across them as they toured incessantly. (Back then, I”d see their name on the fliers for Nashville shows about four times a year, it seemed. My initial reaction still stands: "Goatwhore" is one of the best band names I”ve run across in a decade or longer””or maybe ever.) After releasing two records on indie label Rotten Records, these Nola-sludge all-stars signed a bigger deal with Metal Blade and dropped the staggering blast of A Haunting Curse in 2006. The combination of their road-honed tightness, first-class songwriting and a stout-as-fuck Erik Rutan production made Curse one of my top-played records that year and one that still sees frequent spins in my house. So it”s safe to say that I've been looking forward to Carving Out The Eyes Of God...

...and I'm happy to report that it's not a let-down in the slightest.

First things first: Carving feels toned-down a bit from Curse's bludgeoning bile. This is still sludge-tinted black/death, but yet it”s a bit more (dare I say) streamlined, and then yet again, it”s still equally vicious and ugly. A paradox, perhaps, but a truth”¦ Regardless of whether Carving is a step down from Curse”s focused intensity, it makes up for that turn by ramping up the sense of malice and evil that characterized Goatwhore”s earlier records. In that respect, if perhaps not in sonic fury, Carving is every bit as voracious as its immediate predecessor. This malevolence is simply a more calculated malevolence. Nonetheless, starting with lead track "Apocalyptic Havoc," Carving comes out of the gate swinging, markedly thrashier than Curse, exploring further the legendary bands whose influences the Goats have perpetually cited””the Kreators and the Celtic Frosts and so on. Sammy Duet has always cranked out some seriously masterful riffage, both in Goatwhore and Acid Bath before that, and his riffs on Carving are killer from top to bottom, many among the best in a catalog already filled with winners. Ben Falgoust (of Soilent Green) is a first-class vocalist, one of the best around, and he”s also in top form, as is the rhythm section of bassist Nathan Bergeron and drummer Zach Simmons (also of Scrotesque and Nachtmystium, respectively). But even as good as the rest of the band is, Carving”s glories ultimately belong to Sammy and his endless array of twisting, biting riffs”¦ (Check out the brooding "To Mourn And Forever Wander Through Forgotten Doorways" for some simple-but-killer six-string work, and goddamn, check out "In Legions, I Am Wars Of Wrath," for some straight out pummeling.) The guitar tone is thick and punchy””the whole of Carving once again benefits soundly (ha!) from Rutan”s presence in the producer”s chair.

The blastbeats may be fewer (although not absent), and the entire affair might not be as overwhelmingly oppressive as before, but in the more moderate minutes, there”s still a menace in the midpaced madness that slays””moments like the off-kilter melodies in the midst of the title track that still manage to melt the mind. Not everything is beautifully rotten roses””some tracks are better than others, as would be expected, but nothing on hand is a mis-step, mis-fire or mistake. Some listeners will likely view Carving as a step backwards, while others will view it as a holding pattern, and hell, maybe it is either or both. (I”d argue against the former, but the latter is probably true.) It”s also a damn good record with some wicked neck-snapping riffage and excellent performances from a first-rate band, and all of that adds up to more than enough to put Carving in the running for a slot on my year-end list. (And well ahead of many competitors, to boot”¦)

Goatwhore has made quite the name for themselves in the last few years, and quite simply, this is why. Well done, gentlemen.
Quelle: metalreview.com

Meine Wertung: 8.5/10

Hörbeispiele + Info:
MySpace
BandInfo
SATAN WORSHIPPING DOOM
Antworten
Myspace klingt nicht schlecht, werd ich mal genauer anhören!
Antworten
die jungs kann ich mir wesentlich besser anhören, als andere blackdeaththrasher. solche mucke funzt bei mir meist nur live. aber die hier haben n paar nette songs und nen guten sänger
Antworten
ne band die extrem ähnlich klingt sind zB dead to this world, die hatte ich letztes jahr glaube ich mal vorgestellt
teils sind auch n paar sachen drinn die mich an devian erinnern, aber das sidn nur fetzen.

kann ich mir live ganz gut vorstellen, auf scheibe wird das sehr schnell ermüdend
7,5/10
Antworten
Das eine Lied ausm BOM Radio war ordentlich, wird beobachtet!
"In Deutschland gilt derjenige als viel gef
Antworten
mal reinlauschen
"Willst du friedlich leben? Verkehre mit den Menschen, lebe aber allein, unternimm nichts und bedauere gar nichts."
Iwan Sergejewitsch Turgenew
Antworten
MySpack funzt grad irgendwie nicht Oo
"Willst du friedlich leben? Verkehre mit den Menschen, lebe aber allein, unternimm nichts und bedauere gar nichts."
Iwan Sergejewitsch Turgenew
Antworten
Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
Stil: Black Death Metal
VÖ: 19. Juni 2009
Zeit: 40:43
Label: Metal Blade
Homepage: www.goatwhore.net
MySpace: www.myspace.com/goatwhore

New Orleans ist nicht nur der Geburtsort des Sludge-Metals, sondern auch die Heimat der Schwarzheimer von Goatwhore. Nun, die Genre-Bezeichnung wird dem Quartet nicht wirklich gerecht, denn neben den unüberhörbaren Black Metal-Wurzeln mischen die Amis auch eine Menge groovigen Thrash in ihre Musik und kratzen an manchen Stellen auch an der Grenze zum Death Metal. Ein vielschichtiges Soundgebräu also, aber auch ein schmackhaftes?

Teilweise schon, denn die Band weiß die Zutaten ihrer Mucke meist problemlos zu einem konsistenten Ganzen zu vermengen, das wirkt nicht zusammengestückelt, sondern passend zubereitet. So variiert die Gruppe auf dieser Scheibe geschickt das Tempo von Song zu Song, um keine großartige Langeweile aufkommen zu lassen. Mal geht es geradlinig nach vorne wie beim Opener, dann wird es groovig im Midtempo gehaltener Songs wie "Reckoning Of The Soul Made Godless" und zum Schluss der Scheiblette gibt es gar doomig angehauchte Metal-Kost zu hören, die Variationsmöglichkeiten der Band sind schon erwähnenswert.

Technisch gibt es nichts zu kritteln an diesem Longplayer. Die soliden 40 Minuten sind von Erik Rutan produktionstechnisch vorbildlich in Szene gesetzt. Ein passend trockenes Soundgewand hat der Meister dem Silberling da verpasst, druckvoll und doch leidlich transparent klingt das Werk. Recht solide Handwerkskunst können die Musiker der Band vorweisen, wobei mir Sammy Duets gitarrentechnische Hommage an die großen Celtic Frost besonders gefällt. Auch die Schießbude klingt sehr fein, abwechslungsreich und technisch sauber gespielt. Ben Falgousts Stimme, die irgendwo zwischen thrashigen und schwarzmetallischen Wurzeln ihre Nische gefunden hat, besitzt auch einen recht hohen Wiedererkennungswert, wobei sie mir über die ganze Albumslänge ein bisschen zu eindimensional klingt, aber das ist dann wirklich Geschmackssache.

Warum die Scheibe bei allem Lob, welches ich bisher verteilt habe, dann doch nur eine dezent positive Wertung bekommt, liegt daran, dass sich die Stücke bei aller angesprochenen Abwechslung im Tempobereich von der Stimmung her ein wenig zu ähnlich sind. So richtig kann sich kein Song aus dem Album hervortun, es fehlen einfach ein paar Krachersongs. Ansonsten aber ist das Album ein durchaus unterhaltsames Stück Musik geworden, dem der geneigte Hörer eine Chance geben sollte.

----------------
Now playing: Sick Of Society - Excession Of A Thought
via FoxyTunes
*grunz*
Antworten
mir gefällts besser als alle anderen blackdeaththrasher die ich sonst so kenne
Antworten
Hab die Threads mal zusammengefügt Smile
Antworten
toll, jetzt hab ich ja 2x das selbe in einem thread geschrieben Tugly2
danke chris Smile
Antworten
gnihihi Smile
*grunz*
Antworten
Uking

Wenigstens haste eine gefestigte Meinung!
Antworten
man kann sich alles schönreden Uglyl

Uking
Antworten
klingt recht schmackhaft Smile
GIMME FUE GIMME FAH GIMME DABUJABUZA
Antworten

Gehe zu:

Benutzer, die gerade dieses Thema anschauen: 1 Gast/Gäste